January 2016 Spotlight, page 2

Six MHSIS Students Participate in New York Cares Teen Service Day
    On January 16, 2016, students Ashley Fontanilla, Mohamed Kontako, Nyima Darboe, Aminata Thiam, Esmeralda Roso, and Kadiatou Barry participated in a day of service at P.S. 163 in Ma
nhattan. This service day was organized by the New York Cares Teen Service Team, of which Ashley is a member. Student volunteers lead activities for youth in the neighborhood. Activities included mural painting and dancing.  

New York Cares Teen Service Day – January 16, 2016 
What our student volunteers  had to say…

“It was really nice to see the little girls and boys from the school come in work with us. The Teen Service Team Leaders were great!”  Nyima Darboe

“I loved it because we worked together with different groups of young people!” Aminata Thiam

“It was a very exciting to work in peace as one, and I learned how to use paint!” Kadiatou Barry

Ashley Fontanilla Represents Marble Hill Cares 
at the generationOn MLK Teen Summit
    Ashley Fontanilla was invited to attend the generationOn MLK Teen Summit held in Manhattan on January 18, 2016. Participants had to belong to a community service student club/group registered with generationOn. GenerationOn is “the youth service division of Points of Light, the largest organization in the world dedicated to volunteer service. [Its] mission is to inspire, equip and mobilize kids and teens to take action that changes the world and themselves through service.” Marble Hill Cares Community Service Student group is registered as a generationOn student club.
    “It was an amazing day,” said Ashley. The summit activities included learning about community organizing, developing leadership skills, and engaging in a service project related to fighting hunger.
    Ms. Alvi Rashid from Civic Corps, generationOn NYC Support and Outreach had this to say, “I’m happy to have met Ashley! She was so engaged and brought great insight.”  

Above: Ashley (center) and two participants from                                     Above: Students at the generationOn MLK Teen another school.                                                                                         Summit prepared and distributed sandwiches.

Subpages (1): December 2015 Spotlight
Comments